Vehicle Donation Title Information
One of the most common questions we hear at DonateaCar.com is, “Do you need a title to donate a car to charity?”
The most common answer to that question is yes
However, each state has different requirements which can be found listed by state in a drop down on our FAQ page. Most states do require that you provide a clear title for the car you donate, and some states also require the title to be notarized.
If your state does require the title to be signed by a notary, be sure that you do not sign the title until you can sign in the presence of the notary. Typically, you must bring proper identification to the notary, sign the title while the notary is watching, and then the notary will also sign and stamp the signature as being notarized.
The vehicle that you donate is not required to be registered in your name. However, the title of the vehicle must be signed by the person whose name is on the title.
Car Donation Title Transfer
When donating a vehicle, here is what you need to know:
- The title cannot have any mark-overs or cross-outs, or it will be void.
- If the title lists a lien holder from a bank, you must obtain a lien release document that shows the loan was paid in full and that the bank no longer has interest in the vehicle. This is usually given to you at the time the loan is paid off. If you do not have it, you can request it from your bank or take in your title and have them sign off on the title itself. If needed, DonateaCar.com can help you in obtaining a lien release, just give us a call at 1-800-237-5714 to speak to one of our title experts.
- The title must be signed by the person listed on the front of the title. Even if their name has changed, it must be signed as it is listed, or it may void the title.
- If your title is signed over to another person, do not cross that name off and sign over or it may void your title. Call DonateaCar.com at 1-800-237-5714 and our experts can help you in obtaining the needed documents to fix this.
- If there are two people listed on the title, both people must sign the title. However, if there is an “or” in-between the two names, then only one of them needs to sign.
- If the person listed on the title is deceased, each state requires different paperwork. Call DonateaCar.com at 1-800-237-5714 and we can help you learn what is needed.
Car Title Transfer
You may be required to file a Release of Liability, Notice of sale or other transfer form to release liability as required by your state.